Thursday, January 26, 2012

Ribbon Pakoda


Ribbon Pakoda is a popular snack in India. It is a simple, easy to do snack for any occasion.   The main ingredients are rice flour and gram flour (besan).  This has become our family snack for long drives. My girls love this snack very much and I am sure you would too. You need a Murukku mould (picture) for preparing this snack.


Ingredients

Rice Flour - 2 cups.
Gram Flour (Besan) - 2 cups
Chilli Powder - 2 tsp.
Salt  - 2 tsp.
Hing  (Asafoetida) - a pinch.
Butter  - 2 tsp.
Water

Method

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and add butter (room temperature). Add water to the mixture and gently knead it into a soft dough. The dough should not be watery. Also, you should be able to press it with the mould easily.


Heat oil in a deep wide pan and fill the mould with some dough. Now squeeze the dough from the mould in the hot oil. Let the pakoda cook for a couple of minutes. Turn the pakoda and cook both the sides till it becomes golden brown.

Remove from the oil and keep them in a paper towel to drain the oil. Repeat the procedure with the rest of the dough. Let the Pakodas cool and store them in an air tight container.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I don't have the mold but I hope I can use a cookie press that I have that will allow me to squeeze a similar shape into the grease.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise - Let me check if the Indian store has the mould. I don't know if you can get the shape with the cookie press. You can try the recipe and let me know how it came out..:)

    ReplyDelete